Saturday, November 1, 2014

Halloween Doesn't Exist

Dear Halloween,
     I am writing to you today to tell you that, in the course of my study abroad here in Catalonia, I have discovered that your reaches are more limited than I had previously imagined. In the stereotypically American way, I had assumed that the holiday I celebrate was somewhat universal, and have now learned that no, thank you very much, it is not. In fact, the people here are actually a little bit offended when others bring up Halloween, replying with a rather haughty, "No, it's Castanyada."
     What is Castanyada? you ask, shocked to hear that you are not quite so powerful as you would have liked to believe. Well, I'll tell you. Castanyada, for those of you who speak Catalan, is just what is sounds like: The Celebration of Castanyas (chestnuts). People eat copious amounts of these delicious, slightly musky nuts in the week coming up to Castanyada, as well as Panellets (I don't know if all these capitalizations are necessary, but I'm gonna keep on keepin' on until someone tells me I shouldn't and seeing as how I speak English better than the whole town, I don't think a lot of intervention is coming my way). Panellets are made with ground nuts, sweet potatoes, egg, water, and sugar, and are formed in to little cookies that are either spheres, mushroom-shaped, or in logs. They are then coated in whatever you want (the most typical and possibly most delicious being pine nuts) and baked in the oven to absolute cookie perfection.
     So all of that is the more traditional sense of the Castanyada, but what it means to us modern-folk is all of that, plus a huge party on the 31 of October. Now, hearing what I've heard about Spanish parties, I was a bit apprehensive about going, but I did (because EVERYONE goes) and the one thing I wasn't expecting happened: I had a lot of fun. They play a mix of English music (which is great because people just keep asking me if I understand and then look really amazed when I say I do) and Spanish music (which is great because it's spanish and great). I asked my host parents what time I should be home by, and was really, really surprised when they said 3:00am, sorry for the early curfew. But then, somehow, wandering the streets of the town, and dancing ridiculously with friends, the hours passed by quickly, and I was so surprised when 3:00 came and I was one of the first ones to leave. Anywho, (I don't know how to spell that word, but I really want to use it, sooooooooo) I had a really good time, and any anxiousness I was feeling completely dissipated.\
     Although you may be feeling a little jealous of all the attention I am giving another holiday, this is actually good for me, because it prevented me from being homesick for the lovely Halloween party that takes place at my house in the U.S. every year, even though at times I do still miss it.
Hope you had a satisfactory turn out of young-ins dressed as hooligans this year,
Love always,
Fogg

Dear School,
I GOT A 7 ON MY SPANISH TEST WOOHOO!!!!
Love/Hate (you know our relationship),
Fogg

Dear Catalonia,
Your vote for independence is coming up quickly. Although your people are divided as to whether or not you should have independence from Spain, yellow bandanas are going up all over town in support for you, all over the region.
I understand that the politics behind this all is very complicated, and that, as of the last time I checked, the vote is actually illegal, but I think it is worth a shot to try.
Also, you have a very interesting culture as far as languages go. I'm sure you already know this, but I am just learning and it is still quite surprising at times. Although the vast majority of the people here speak Catalan, if there is one person in a group who needs to speak Spanish, everyone switches. Also, if you speak to someone in Spanish, people will answer in Spanish. These are both very well and good, until you are trying to learn Catalan, and people are not very compliant... I am working out tricks to get people to speak in Catalan to me (by the way it is a beautiful language), and I am learning more and more everyday.
Thank you for hosting me,
Fogg

Dear Readers,
I cannot quite believe the statistics (I have over 1,000 page views from places like China, Germany, Russia, Canada, and Spain) but I would like to thank you all for reading my still-slightly-clusmly attempts at blogging, and for all the amazing comments that make my day(s). Be sure to check back semi-regularly (seeing as how that is the frequency with which blogposts appear)!
Love,
Fogg

1 comment:

  1. Dear Fogg--
    I missed seeing your skin changing costumes this year. I remember the years of the red skinned devil, the green skinned goblin, the blueberried Violet Beauregarde. You have been very colorful over the years. There were definitely many princesses, ghouls and superheroes in the mix this year. There wasn't a party at your house, though I did see your mother galavanting around Seattle in your pumpkin head costume from last year.
    Don't worry about my lack of popularity in some parts of the world. I have a marketing team trying to spread my particular brand of fear and cheer to all parts of the globe. If that doesn't succeed, I will just egg their houses.
    See you next year,
    Halloween

    ReplyDelete