Tuesday, October 7, 2014

1 Month, 7 points, and 11 things that are weird.

First, let's all celebrate for a moment that I have, in fact, survived the first month of my exchange. Yesterday marked the day that I had been IN my town for a month. Unfortunately, yesterday was also the day the marked my first illness since I got here, and I am currently sitting in a ball on the couch trying really hard not to swallow. My family is so nice about it, and I realized yet again how truly lucky I am to have this amazing of a host family.
But despite my sore throat, I am actually in very high spirits, since it feels like I have now been here for a tangible amount of time, as opposed to a fraction of a fraction of time... And it is beginning to really feel like home, although I remind myself everyday how truly amazing this is, and that I am actually doing this, that it isn't a dream.
I have received my first test back, which is pretty cool (even if it was a math test, and that is kind of universal). I got a 7 out of 10, which unlike in the U.S. is a really good note. 10s are pretty rare, no one in my class got one on this test, I think that 8 was the highest note, and seeing as how I barely understood the questions, I was very happy with this score. I also took a Spanish test, which I haven't received back, but I am not expecting to have done nearly as well... I will report back later.
That last paragraph was, by the way, the '7 points' part of the title, now to the things that are weird. (Side note: AFS doesn't love the term 'weird', but I don't love the term 'different' and it's my blog I'll call things weird if I want to.)
1. They buy Nutella in the biggest freakin' container I've ever seen.
2. They do math in pen, and use a BUNCH of white-out, instead of just using pencil.
3. They say that the times that classes start are really strict, but when people roll in 5 minutes late their totally fine.
4. The calendars have the week number, like Week 33.
5. People know me, and whenever I walk out of the house, I hear about it later, like "Oh, hey, I saw you the other day on your bike" and I just kinda look at them like "....". (please insert my face making the face of your choosing).
6. People don't really email, even for business-y things.
7. I was supposed to meet my friends at 4:00, and at 4:05 we were texting each other about where to meet.
8. The way they tell time. (8:30 is "two quarters of 9")
9. When I chatted with my parents for two hours, they were like "that's all?" and I was like "you want me to call them back?"
10. It's pretty common for people to say "Yeah, we don't really eat dessert", but then eat chocolate at basically every meal.
11. They speak spanish.

Ok, I was kind of kidding with that last one, but a couple of days ago, my brother comes in and I go "Oh, hey!" and he says, "Hola", and I literally though to myself "Oh, yeah, they speak spanish."
Ok, that about all, love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment