Saturday, December 6, 2014

HoneyNut Cheerios

You may be wondering how exactly I came to be wandering around this tiny town alone, crying and eating HoneyNut Cheerios out of the box at 9:00pm on a Saturday, but then again, so was I.
I guess this story starts with Thanksgiving. After chatting with my family on the actual day of, which was hard enough in and of itself, I then made a sort of spanish-rendition of Thanksgiving dinner for my host family on Saturday. Apart from making me appreciate the work that the adults in my family do every year to make that happen, it was a pretty hard day in my life here abroad. Every detail that was different seemed to scream at me that I am all alone, a world away from everything I love. So, even though the dinner itself was pretty successful, it made for a less-than-joyful start to what would become an ever-worsening week.
The next blow came on my Dad's birthday. It was the first time in my life that I hadn't been able to be with him for his birthday, which was so very much harder than I had expected. I missed burning chocolate chip cookies for him, I missed the feeling of Christmas season officially getting here that his birthday always brings, and I missed my Dad, and everything that makes him the best dad anyone could ask for.
Before I could have a moment to breathe, of course, I had a piano recital to deal with, and all of the stress that goes along with that. Now, I'm not exactly a new-comer to the whole piano-recital thing, but somehow having to play in a whole different setting, while knowing half the audience is a little bit more stressful than I had anticipated. I did do OK, even though my fingers shook for a good fifteen minutes after I stopped playing.
This brings us to Saturday.
I started off pretty good, standing outside for 4 hours (in 3-degrees- celsius weather) with my class selling pastries at a Christmas market in the town's main square, and hanging laundry out to dry once I got home. After my fingers and toes finally warmed up, I spent the afternoon in a sort of cold-induced limbo, where going outside seems unthinkable, but the house just seems to shrink and shrink and shrink until it feels unbearably small.
I'm not sure exactly sure what triggered my sizable mental breakdown, whether it was the violent outburst of screaming coming from one of the little boys' rooms, my host sister and I's misunderstanding, or a combination of the two, but I suddenly felt the very panicky need to get out.
So I did.
I wrapped myself up in a couple of jackets, a couple of pairs of socks, and a couple more scarves, and I went for a walk. I took some random turns until I finally got myself lost on the hilly cobblestone streets and then set out to find my way home. On the way, I came across the church, which was still holding mass, a really quiet little square where someone had put up cute little Christmas lights, and a creepy statue, which I'm quite confident will still be giving me nightmares twenty years from now. When I finally got back to a street I really recognized, I headed over to the grocery store and found (to my great delight) that there was one last, lonely box of HoneyNutCheerios standing in the cereal isle.
I of course grabbed it at once, and headed back out into the cold air, and began eating them right there. I'm pretty sure I looked like a crazy person, and almost definitely somebody I know saw me, but at that moment, with Fall Out Boy's song Sugar, We're Going Down Swinging playing a little too loud in my ears, I could not care less.

3 comments:

  1. Things I have done when homesick/at the holidays*:
    1. Cried
    2. Walked, prayed, and talked myself through it ALOT
    3. Called home at 3:00 am from a payphone
    4. Fantasized about Hostess baked goods
    5. Cried some more
    6.Visited American food chains (Pizza Hut, Sbux, McD's) when I could (you would not believe how excited those golden arches would make me!)
    7. Talked about it with other people who would get it.
    8.Looked at pictures of people I missed and missed them some more.
    9. Swore

    Yep, eating Honey Nut Cheerios in an abandoned square with creepy statues peeking at you sounds about right! :)

    *The mention of above activities in no way are to be interpreted as an endorsement of said activities. Please note, Mom & Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was very homesick in Greece, I would practice my viola on the roof of a nearby abandoned building (access prohibited) and cry. I imagined myself the fiddler on the roof and realized what a lonely thing it is to be able to speak of something only from the outside.
    Then I would have those moments that I would never have known if I had stayed home. Like a loud, 10 minute long, table pounding fight that broke out at a party one night between the adults, that I later found out was a discussion on which bakery in the neighborhood was the best.
    I found it craziest to be simultaneously heartsick for home and thrilled to be away from home. You are strong and loved and brave.
    By the way, quit going out alone at night and getting lost!!!
    All my love,
    Tout

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very eloquent recitation of what sounds like a truly awful weekend. Sure hope it is better for you now.

    ReplyDelete