Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Finally a moment to think

This moment feels like the first moment I have had to myself (long enough to form a coherent thought about my experiences) in a week.
The start of the insanity was last Wednesday, the day I finally had to say goodbye.
We awoke at some way-too-early time and drove to the airport where we were met by some of our closest family friends. We sat down to coffee and chatted for a bit, until it was time for me to go through security. I was far too excited and tired for many tears, and everything had not yet sunk in. I went through security, waved one last time to my parents, and headed off to my gate, and then to New York. 
Once at JFK, finding AFS was not too difficult, and I met the other eager-eyed AFSers with whom I would travel across seas. 
The next three days were a blur of rules, security lines, airplanes, trains, and  a fair amount of waiting around. 
*Fast forward to Saturday, when I finally met my host family, after so many emails, and soooooo much time waiting. *
Honestly, the first thing I noticed about my family was that they were somehow shorter than I pictured, but they are so very nice.
The car ride from Barcelona to the very small village passed without too much awkwardness, since I managed to keep a semi-constant very-stumbling conversation going with my host sisters.
When we arrived in the town, the European-ness of it registered the most in my overwhelmed mind. Complete with narrow cobblestone streets and people talking everywhere, I don't think I could imagine a better place to be immersed in a European culture.
Their house is BEAUTIFUL and so full of life that I am never bored. With five host siblings, and a constant stream of other people (family, friends or others) there are always people in the house. 
On the second day with my host family, I skyped with my parents. I am not too ashamed to admit that I cried like a baby the whole time. The length of time that I will have to go, and the difficulty of trying to connect with people who don't speak my language caught up to me upon seeing their faces and my house. I am constantly reminded that this emotion is normal, but that does little to make it easier :)
Since then, I have met my class, though not yet started school, and met countless  other people who live in this town.
This reminds me. The first full day I was hear, I got an invitation from my host parents to come with them for a short hike with a few friends. Apparently "short" is 2 and a half hours and "few" is about thirty. However, it was amazing! We hike up to the very top of a small mountain, where a small church was nestled into the rock. We took a picture with all of the participants of the hike, and everyone sang a Catalunian song as a flag of Catalunia was flown.
Apparently, this was something that people were doing all over the Catalunia in order to show their support for Catalunian freedom. It was intimidating and awesome all at the same time.
At this point, I am very nervous for school to start, because I think this will be by far the hardest year of school in my life so far. 
I will try to blog more regularly as my life here (hopefully) settles down. 
Thank you all for bearing with me through  the process up until now, I can't believe I finally made it!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on FINALLY making it to Spain! I have been missing you at school. Have a great time!

    Also, you should post pictures that you take on here...

    ReplyDelete